Whether you are considering a job as a caregiver or looking to hire someone to care for a loved one, it is a good idea to have a caregiver job description in place. The job description will play a critical role in making sure that everyone is on the same page when it comes to the care of your loved one. You can use the job description below as a place to start but you should customize it to your own unique care situation.
Before creating your job description it’s a good idea to create a Care Plan. It will lay a good foundation for the care your loved one needs and allow you to put together the perfect caregiver job description.
Caregiver Job Summary
The Caregiver is responsible for the overall care for a specific client which includes personal care, homemaking services, personal assistance and companionship.
- Assist clients with transfers, ambulation and mobility around the house or outside (doctor’s appointments, walks etc.)
- Plan and prepare meals with assistance from client if they are able to
- Perform light housekeeping duties that client is unable to perform – keep living are clean
- Assist client with personal care, bathing assistance and personal hygeine
- Help with toileting and incontinence-related duties
- Run errands and do shopping for client (or assist them as necessary)
- Provide incidental transportation
- Medication reminders
- Help client with physical therapy exercises
- Act quickly and responsibly in the event of an emergency
- Report unusual incidents or change in client’s condition
Additional Tasks May Include:
[hoot_tabset] [hoot_tab title=”Personal Care Services”]Bathing Support | Tub Bath | Bed Bath | Shower | Sponge Bath | Electric Shave | Oral/Mouth Care | Shampoo Hair | Assist With Dressing | Grooming | Comb/Brush Hair | Skin Care | Clean Nails | Assist With Adult Briefs | Perineal Care | Assist With Commode | General Skin Care | Range of Motion Activities | Brush Teeth | Assist With Bedpan | Other Client Requests[/hoot_tab]
[/hoot_tabset][hoot_tabset] [hoot_tab title=”Homemaking Services”]Meal Planning | Cooking | Meal Preparation Based on Taste/Diet | Personal Laundry / Linens | Make/Change Bed | Help With Organization | Shopping | Serve Meals | Wash Dishes | Light Housekeeping (vacuum, dust, cleaning bathroom, kitchen, etc.) | Errands | Grocery Shopping | Incidental Transportation | Out-of-Town Travel Assistance | Pet Care | Plant Care | Other Client Requests[/hoot_tab] [/hoot_tabset]
[hoot_tabset] [hoot_tab title=”Personal Assistance”]Transfers | Ambulation | Feeding | Assist to Bathroom | Assist With Self-Administered Medication | Limit/Encourage Fluids | Record Food Intake | Record Urinary Output | Record Bowel Functions [/hoot_tab] [/hoot_tabset]
[hoot_tabset] [hoot_tab title=”Companion Services”]Lively Conversation | Reading | Games | Projects | Gardening | Attend Events | Visit Friends | Outings | Celebrate Holidays | Record Memoirs | Independence Training & Support Following Hospitalization | Correspondence | Safety Supervision | Orientation Prompts or Reminders | Appointments | Other Client Requests[/hoot_tab] [/hoot_tabset]
- Current and valid caregiver certification or registration (as required by your particular state)
- Current and valid first aid and CPR certification
- Proven caregiving experience working with the elderly
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to problem solve quickly with good decision-making skills
- Experience and knowledge working with patients who have chronic and acute conditions
- Respectful and compassionate
- Experience with housekeeping tasks and cooking (with consideration of dietary constraints)
If you have any questions please leave a comment below and I’ll get back with you. Thanks.